Important Facts About Rheumatic Heart Disease

rheumatic heart disease

Heart disease is a health condition that people have to take more seriously. The reason behind this attitude is uncertain, but according to statistics, only 20% of heart attack victims knew that they had heart disease. The other 80% had no idea that they were at high risk of having a heart attack. These facts can tell us that despite awareness of the disease and its causes, many people are in denial that they are candidates for this kind of condition. This is why people who want to avoid this disease must treat it with a proactive attitude. Heart disease attacks when you least expect it, especially if you have rheumatic heart disease.

Rheumatic heart disease is a heart condition brought about by rheumatic fever, this condition usually affects children and adolescents aged 5 – 15. An untreated strep throat is what causes rheumatic fever, that starts from a simple bacterial infection. The bacteria that cause strep throat is contagious, this is why it is usually acquired at school where students are confined in classrooms the majority of the day.

It targets the throat which is the reason why strep throat is often mistaken for a soar throat. What differentiates the two is the root cause, strep throat is triggered by bacteria while soar throat is triggered by a virus. Symptoms of both conditions are quite similar, this is why infection in the throat area should not be taken lightly because strep throat can progress to a life-threatening disease.

When strep throat is left untreated, it leads to rheumatic fever which can inflict considerable damage on the heart’s valves. When the heart valves are not able to function properly, this condition is known as rheumatic heart disease.

Once rheumatic heart disease happens to a person, it can be considered a life-long condition. Rheumatic heart disease can not be reversed like some heart conditions, it only puts a person at greater risk of experiencing a heart attack. The only way to prevent this disease from happening is to address strep throat before it develops to rheumatic fever. So the next time you have a throat infection, make sure you address the issue as soon as you can.

Read Also: Heart Disease Facts That Can Be Helpful

You May Also Like

About the Author: Staff Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *